Saturday, January 10, 2015

Crying, Waiting, Hoping

The 2011/2012 school year was an eventful year and a year that became both a stepping stone and a catalyst for Anabelle and Lennon.

For each classroom at their preschool there are two teachers.  The lead teacher in Lennon's class was also Anabelle's teacher her 1st year so I was pleased to see that Lennon would have the same experience.  The assistant was a new teacher, but I could tell right away that she loved what she did and had a genuinely kind heart.

As the year progressed I noticed a disconnect in the lead teacher and the moment I felt the need to say something to the Director of the school was the exact same moment the assistant was promoted to the lead.   It was a move that I fully supported and one that forever changed our experience at Monarch - in a positive impactful way.  The new lead teacher and I kept in constant communication about Lennon's progress with his speech and I even emailed them the report from his sessions as well as the assessments that were done by the therapists.  It was important that we were all on the same page as to what he needed.

Anabelle was in a classroom with a teacher who was amazing and truly got her. I strongly believe that year was the one that jumpstarted her developmental growth into a whole new level. One developmental milestone in particular that we had trouble with was potty training. And while Anabelle was doing well with pee it took her longer with poop. She reached that milestone her Pre-K year. She turned 5 that year and it was the 1st year she had requested a birthday party - theme and all.  Prior to then I would throw small parties for her based upon what I knew she loved, but she had never actually made specific requests. For her 5th birthday she wanted a super hero party; and she wanted to dress up as Bat Girl.  And it was awesome.

My Bat Girl at Superhero Headquarters
(she picked the outfit - pink boots and all - by herself) 

Adjusting to a family of 5 with an infant, 2 children in preschool part time, weekly speech therapy sessions and trying to earn extra money was tough, but I felt like we were managing, (I am pretty sure I was, thanks to my Placenta Encapsulation Pills).  Anabelle had her struggles with school subjects and social skills and Lennon struggled with his communication, however I was learning and watching and trying my best to help them.  It was difficult to manage without feeling like I was compromising my parenting of the other 2 while focusing on the one, but I imagine every parent with multiple children feels that at one time or another...  right?  I do remember thinking that I desperately wanted to fast forward Anabelle and Lennon's growth so Tiger would have older siblings to talk to and play with.  I was also desperate to not have a 3rd child with developmental concerns.  Was there anything I could do?  I still remember random people making random comments like, "oh how nice it must have been for Lennon to have an older sibling to talk to and play with" and all I wanted to say back was, "well, actually it wasn't like that because his older sister was delayed and only tandem played".  Instead I said nothing and just secretly hoped that Tiger would have that as he grew up.

The 2011/2012 school year was a good one and I felt hopeful for a positive gain from there.  And then summer arrived and without the financial capabilities to continue, school came to an end.  We were at the peak of getting what we needed and we slowly, but surely began to plummet.  I kept Lennon in speech based upon approved authorization requests, (in writing might I add) and then Anthem Blue Cross (shame on you!) denied all claims.  Which was totally awesome because I totally had thousands of dollars laying around to pay for those sessions, (can you sense my angry sarcasm?).

Unfortunately our need to try to make ends meet overshadowed much of everything else that summer.  Eric had a full time job and I was able to pick up some part time work, but we still found ourselves drowning in debt. We were fortunate, however, to have family who was willing and able to help.  I will forever be grateful to our family for their help and support.  Whether it was with babysitting, helping us financially or just by being there.  We are definitely rich with love and support.

The summer of 2012 proved to be incredibly difficult and when it came time to go back to school the following fall I could see just how much it had truly affected Lennon.  The break in his schedule, routine  and school structure hindered his developmental growth and caused him to need more.

Anabelle won the lottery, literally, and got into the local charter school I was desperate for her to go to for Kindergarten and I re-enrolled Lennon 3 days/week at Monarch.  And it was the fall of 2012 and the events thereafter that catapulted me into being the advocate my children needed me to be. There is still a lot to explain between then and now, and I will blog all about it, but I feel it's important to mark this time frame as the catalyst to where we are today.

No comments:

Post a Comment